I continuously provide vegan and vegetarian meal recipe and alternatives for multiple reasons, including those that are unsure about where to begin and how to incorporate new changes in their cooking habits. This recipe comes from Erica at Vegan Now in South Africa, where she is perfecting her skills and reconnecting with Self, and decided to share with us numerous recipes for healthier eating.
This is a new take on pizza crust for those looking to stay away from bread, but still wanting to enjoy great foods.
|Makes 2 Medium Sized Crusts|V + GF
1.5 cups ground polenta • 3.5 cups vegetable broth • 1 Tbsp olive oil • 1 tsp salt • 1 tsp garlic powder • 1 tsp oregano • 1 tsp basil • 1/2 tsp parsley • 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Line (2) 11′ round pans with parchment paper or use a nonstick spray and line with a little margarine.
- Over high heat, bring vegetable stock to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add olive oil, salt, garlic powder, oregano, basil, parsley, and black pepper.
- Whisking or stirring with a wooden spoon continuously, pour in polenta and continue whisking for 3-5 minutes until smooth and thick. You are looking for a stiff, but stir-able consistency.
- Scoop an even amount onto each pan and spread evenly around the pan. It should be about 1/4 – 1/2″ thick. *It is easiest to spread with slightly wet hands, spoon or silicone spatula.
- Set the pans in the fridge for about 30 minutes to set. If fridge doesn’t fit, leave on a surface for double the time
- Remove from the fridge and pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees (F).
- Bake crusts for about 25 minutes, flipping once halfway through. *Use a spatula to flip. While the crust is baking, pre-cook any veggies (if desired).
- Once the crust is done baking, layer with tomato sauce and toppings of your choice.
- Broil on low on the top rack for a few minutes until toppings are slightly browned.
Cut, serve, and enjoy!
Not sure about anyone else, but I absolutely loved this pizza alternative and can’t imagine ever returning to regular pizza!
LIGHT + LOVE | RISHI OMKARA